Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Color Blind & Color Brave

The conversation of race is surprisingly large in my family.  Meet my dad and little brother:

 

Shaffie Pillay (my mom's husband and a guy I consider a father) has been in my life since I was little.  It really wasn't until they began dating that I noticed a difference in people's skin.  I grew up in primarily in East Greenwich RI where it is a predominately white upper class population.  Even though my best friend is Haitian, I really didn't notice even though she did.  Was I color blind maybe?  But I think it was more of I just didn't notice a difference in anyone.  To me everyone was the same.  

Over the years that Shaffie and my mom have been together though I have seen that people do treat him differently because of his skin color.  We have been refused service in restaurants because he was in our party, he has been pulled over at night and given tickets by the police for no reason, and he has been pulled out of line at airports almost every time we fly for no real reason.  It makes me sad that people are color blind - that they do not understand a persons worth because of their appearance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment